The roads of our country are notorious for the high instances of accidents and corresponding fatalities. No matter how safely you drive your car or how stringently you follow the traffic rules, you are still vulnerable to road accidents caused by others. Therefore, it is critical to have adequate insurance for your car.
A four wheeler insurance policy acts as a financial shield for you in the event of any damages to your car, including accidents and theft. Nowadays, it is easy to purchase and renew online car insurance. With several of the country’s insurance companies offering an online car insurance calculator on their websites, you can know more about car insurance in India, assess the different policies and compare their costs.
There is a wide selection of four wheeler insurance policies to choose from. For instance, Tata AIG, one of India’s most trusted insurance companies, offers several online car insurance plans. You can visit their website and purchase a Tata AIG car insurance policy by following a simple procedure. However, you must ensure that your selection is driven by a careful assessment of your insurance requirements and thorough research of various plans.
Ways to Check Your Car Insurance Status Online
It is easy to check the insurance status of your vehicle online and ascertain when you need to renew your four wheeler insurance policy. There are three ways to check your car insurance status online, namely through the official websites of VAHAN, the Insurance Information Bureau (IIB), and your vehicle insurer. You can, therefore, check the validity of your car insurance policy and ensure that it is renewed in time.
- Check your car insurance status through VAHAN.
VAHAN is a database for all registered vehicles in the country and serves as the National Vehicle Registry. It is easy to check the insurance status of your vehicle on the official website of VAHAN. You just need to follow the steps mentioned below.
- Visit the official website of VAHAN.
- Create an account if you do not already have one.
- After logging in through your VAHAN account credentials, click on ‘Know Your Vehicle Details’ and enter the Vehicle Registration Number of your car.
- You shall see all the important details pertaining to your car, including its manufacturing and purchase particulars, insurance details, emission status, and fuel type.
It is important to note that you can only check the detailed particulars of a car registered in your name on the VAHAN portal. If you wish to check the owner details of a car through its registration number in the wake of, say, an accident, you can only check partial details on the portal. This constraint has been put in place owing to safety and privacy reasons.
- Check your car insurance status through IIB.
Another way to check the insurance status of your vehicle is by visiting the official website of the Insurance Information Bureau (IIB), which is an insurance database run by the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI). You can check these details in case you meet with a car accident.
Here are the steps you must follow to check your car insurance status on the IIB’s website.
- Go to the official website of the IIB
- Click on V Seva and fill the Accident Vehicle Information Retrieval form.
- The insurance details of the vehicle shall be displayed if they are in the database of the IIB.
You must remember that you can only check the details of your car insurance policy through the IIB V Seva portal in the wake of accidents.
- Check your car insurance status through your insurer’s website.
The easiest way to check the insurance status of your vehicle is by visiting the official website of your car insurance company. Although the precise process followed by different insurers may vary, here are the basic steps you must follow to check the status of the insurance for your car through this route.
- Visit the official website of your four wheeler insurance provider.
- Enter the Vehicle Registration Number or your Mobile Number or E-mail address as prompted by the screen.
- Click on submit.
- You shall be able to peruse the car insurance details, including the policy purchase and expiration date.
Therefore, it is easy to keep track of the timelines of the insurance policy for your car. By following a simple process, you can be assured of never missing the expired car insurance renewal date of your four wheeler insurance policy. You can also download a copy of your car insurance policy from the official website of your vehicle insurer should you happen to need a soft copy or misplace the original copy.
You can check your car insurance status on the official online portals such as VAHAN, the Insurance Information Bureau, and your vehicle insurance provider’s website. On your insurer’s website, you can also take a printout of the insurance policy or download a copy in case you want to refer to the same offline. Remember to keep your car’s registration number handy, and the process will be complete in just a short while. It is important to keep tracking the validity of your four wheeler insurance policy so that you do not miss out on the renewal or expiry date and lose the benefits of your car insurance policy.