Schedule Caste (SC) are a group of oppressed people who have been deprived of their rights due to status clarification and are often categorized as “low status”.
Schedule Tribe (ST) are native or indigenous people who are attributed to a particular religion and are assumed to follow traditional practices.
The SC ST were originally considered “untouchables”. The orthodoxy of the followers of Varna system divided people among 5 varnas and the lowest strata of them were carried Dalits who are now regarded as Scheduled caste and tribes.
Other Backward class (OBC), is an aggregate of people who are put at a disadvantage economically, socially and educationally. The government is obligated to work towards the welfare of the OBC under ARTICLE 340. They have been described as socially and educationally backward people by the Indian constitution.
SC, ST and OBC certificates:
Caste certificates are issued to people from all categories. People from the SC , ST and OBC castes especially need to have their caste certificate to get the benefits given by the government to them under special acts of welfare. The certificates are issued by the state government. Each state has its own OBC welfare portal office.
Benefits of SC, ST and OBC certificate (Jaati Pramaan):
- The certificate can provide people with reserved seats in schools and colleges by the order of the government.
- The certificate holders can gain land or avail it’s benefits which is given to them by the Indian Government.
- There are reserved seats in competitive exams and scholarships for people who hold this certificate
- Private as well as government jobs are reserved for people with these certificates.
- Government provides subsidies to these people who have a SC ST certificate.
- Any person with a caste certificate of SC ST or OBC can stand for elections.
How to apply for the SC/ST/OBC certificate?
Online method to apply for SC/ST and OBC certificate
- Visit the “State Backward Class welfare” website.
- Select ‘Apply for caste certificate’
- Fill up the required details for registration
- After filing the details, you’ll receive a user id and password on your registered email or mobile number
- Now login to your account using the user id and password
- Fill the necessary details on the next tab (Nam, date of birth, gender, mobile number, etc.)
- Click on submit
- Upload your documents
- Download the acknowledgement slip that you’ve received.
- After proper verification, you’ll receive an update about your caste certificate.
Offline method to apply for SC, ST, OBC certificate
- Visit your nearby SDM office of Tehsil Department
- Enquire about the caste certificate
- You’ll receive an application about the same, fill the details duly.
- Tick mark the SC or ST or OBC section
- Mention about your relatives who have the same certificate
- Fill the self declaration section and sign it
- Paste your photo and submit local reference address
- Attest your documents properly
- Submit the application
- The verification process might take 30-35 days. Wait for your approval.
Documents required for SC, ST, and OBC certificate
- Proof of identity (PAN card or driving license)
- Proof of address ( Aadhaar card, Voter Id, bill, etc )
- Affidavit or older certificate
- Proof of any blood relative belonging to the same Category
Any person belonging to the lower strata of the society needs to produce and own the caste certificate. A person belonging to the SC caste gets more preference from the government than the one belonging to the OBC caste. The Department for the Welfare of SC/ST/OBC is working hard to uplift the lower classes and give them adequate benefits.